Saturday, July 13, 2013

Mocha Madness!

I wanted to try a new twist on chocolate cake for my coffee loving friends.  So I experimented a bit and according to my husband, this is the best tasting cake I've ever made!  And it was SUPER easy to do!


To get the mocha flavor, I used a box of chocolate fudge cake mix and substituted the water for vanilla flavored coffee that I brewed at home.  Before I added the coffee to the other ingredients I made sure it was room temperature.  I wasn't sure if it would work hot or not.  After the cake was baked, I soaked more coffee right on to the cake with a basting brush.  

I also made regular chocolate buttercream and added quite a bit of room temperature coffee right to it.  I cut back a little on the milk and continued adding coffee and powdered sugar and cocoa until the flavor and consistency were perfect.

I found several recipes on Pinterest for chocolate ganache and used bits and pieces of each to make my own.  And of course, I added more coffee.  

I frosted the cake with the mocha buttercream and spread the ganache on top, allowing it to drip down the sides.  The last thing I did was add Heath Toffee Chips to the top.  

Personally, I do not like, coffee, mocha or anything of the sort so I can't tell you if it's any good or not.  But the few people who did eat it, all told me separately, that it was the best tasting cake I've ever made.  So that made me super excited and I wanted to share with you!




No comments:

Post a Comment